Adventures of a Graduate Student Juggling School, a Part-Time Job and a Full-Time Love for Food.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

This is Work. Part II


Here's an example of what I cook at work. Actually, I've never made this before, but my boss gave me some FLOUNDER and told me to cook it however I wanted. The first thing I usually do when my boss does that to me is look at some cookbooks. If I find a recipe that looks really good, I'll do that. If not, I'll combine two recipes or take ingredients from different recipes. Sometimes, I'll already know what to do with a piece of fish, or meat, or poultry. As for these pieces of flounder, I didn't really find a recipe that was simple enough that called for simple ingredients that I already had at hand. So I just brainstormed, folded the laundry, and went with these items:
  • Olive Oil
  • Butter
  • Lemon Juice
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Flour
  • Garlic
  • Parsley, Basil, & Marjoram











I cut the big pieces of fish into smaller, more manageable sizes. I squeezed some lemon juice onto each, coated them with a bit of flour, seasoned them with salt & pepper, and finally evenly distributed the herbs, including the minced garlic. I then seared them for a few minutes on each side.




Look at that golden goodness!


Then I tried it... I always try what I cook to make sure it's not too bland, or salty, or spicy, or whatever (especially for the kids). I don't think I've ever had flounder before; I know I've never cooked it and I honestly wasn't sure how this would turn out, because apparently flounder is really flaky. But it held up, and it was delicious!


1 comment:

  1. denise this is awesome. i had no idea that this was something you were interested in. great job.

    ReplyDelete