Adventures of a Graduate Student Juggling School, a Part-Time Job and a Full-Time Love for Food.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Crazy Muffins.



I've never made muffins before.
Then one day, as I was walking past our kitchen pantry, I saw this big box of Quaker Oats Quick Oats that my mom bought me. It had two huge bags of oats inside and I was barely halfway through the first bag. I realized that if I didn't eat oatmeal three times a day everyday for about five months, the oats would go bad [Do oats even go bad?]. But anyway, I had to do something. I hate wasting food, especially food from my mom.
I figured I'd make tons of oatmeal cookies. Then after a few seconds, I remembered that B loves pecan muffins. So I went online to look for pecan muffins that used oatmeal in the recipe and voila! Conveniently in the Quaker Oats website was a recipe for Warm Pralines N' Cream Muffins. I made two batches of these and then wanted to make more muffins!


Although they were pretty ugly--they were all shapes and sizes, some with just one pecan on top and others with crazy-looking chopped pecans on them--they were still pretty delicious. B liked it a lot, and that was really all that mattered. :)
But anyway, when I got home from school the next day, I conveniently had three extremely ripe bananas just sitting on the kitchen counter. So I decided to make banana nut muffins! I used this recipe and topped it with this topping from the Quaker Oats website.



Surprisingly, these came out delicious too. The tops were especially yummy! When I called B in to see them, he exclaimed, "Look, they all have afros!" At first I was appalled, and then I laughed.

  

Notice my makeshift cooling racks. I didn't have any, but these worked fine. I am a college student, not a chef.

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear! I would love to taste these muffins. Next time you come home, I would say.... Thanksgiving..we'll gonna bake some and probably the fish dish.

    ReplyDelete