Adventures of a Graduate Student Juggling School, a Part-Time Job and a Full-Time Love for Food.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Chickens!

I love chicken. It's pretty much my favorite meat. You can just do so much with it and to it. It goes well with so many things. And you can cook it so many ways! I'm constantly experimenting and today and last week, I tried two different recipes for chicken.

Last Saturday, I decided to cook lunch at home. My mom was still at work and we had pretty much finished our leftovers from Thursday. I know, they were gone quick! So I made chicken curry. My mom makes the best chicken curry and I wasn't even thinking about trying to match hers, but I just thought I'd try making this dish on my own with my own little touches.

So, I used about 2 1/2 lbs of chicken (I used tenderloins, cut into bite-size pieces), 2 small onions chopped, 1-2 medium potatoes (I used red cuz' it's what my mom had), 1 cup of peas (I used canned, but frozen is fine), fresh minced jalapeño (or two if you like more heat), about a tbs. and a half of minced fresh garlic, 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth, 1 13 oz can of coconut milk, 1 1/2 to 2 tbs. of curry powder, olive oil, salt and pepper, and some fresh cilantro.


I made a lot because you can freeze this dish and it gets better with time. I also wanted to take some back with me to Gainesville, but I forgot. Also, there are two shades of curry because my mom ran out of her regular curry powder so I used this "curry mix" I found in a fancy-looking spice jar. Hey, it had the word curry in it.


So anyway, I sautéd the chicken first (I divided them so they weren't too crowded) in olive oil over high heat, about 2 minutes per side. Then I removed the chickens and set them aside. I then sautéd the onions, jalapeño, and the garlic in some olive oil over medium heat until they were soft.



 Then I added the curry powder, mixed them together, added the chicken broth, then the potatoes. I simmered them for a while until the potatoes were a little tender. After that, I added the coconut milk. If you're using frozen peas, you would add it now. Then I added the chicken and let that simmer for just a few minutes. This is when I added the peas, I didn't want them to get all mushy. Then I seasoned with salt & pepper.


Serve over rice, of course, and top with fresh, yummy, lovely-smelling cilantro! The lighting was bad, but the dish was a nice, rich yellow color. I promise!


And pair with some leftover Martinelli's Sparkling Apple! The chicken curry was delicious, my mom said so. =)


And today, I made some weird chicken dish. I don't even know what it's called. But it had chicken (duh!), garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, rice vinegar, olive oil, and rosemary.


They marinated while I went to class.

Then they baked for about 45 minutes on 400 degrees.

And I made brown rice to go with it.

I then transferred the chicken to another oven-proof pan, and while they browned and got a little more crispy in the oven, I took the hot drippings, sprinkled that with a little bit of wheat flour, poured it through a strainer, and spooned a little on top of the cooked chicken. PHEW!

Here's the cooked chicken.


Here's the cooked chicken under bad lighting. 


Here is the chicken over rice.



Oh and we had corn too. And a lot of leftovers. 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention the awesome chicken sandwich I made all by myself with the leftovers.

    What I did was...

    First: I took two slices of bread and put the chicken in between them (crucial step).

    Second: I ate the sandwich.

    Oh, I forgot that I heated the chicken up in the microwave until I heard loud popping noises. That let me know it was probably hot enough.

    Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I was pretty hungry and that would of slowed me down. It looked a lot like the above pictures, but with two slices of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That curry chicken looks FAB! :) Thank you for the recipe!
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete