Adventures of a Graduate Student Juggling School, a Part-Time Job and a Full-Time Love for Food.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Filipino Thanksgiving.

On Thursday, I went home to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family... and about 40 other people. It was the complete opposite of my American Thanksgiving dinner. This one was outdoor, we had to wear a semi-formal attire (I don't know why), we didn't have turkey (GASP!), it was rambunctious and loud, and some people brought a pecan pie and a pumpkin pie and no one touched them (double GASP!). The foods were very Filipino, with the exception of lasagna, but even that's not a Thanksgiving dish. Okay, so we don't necessarily celebrate Thanksgiving "traditionally," but it was still fun and funny. I've learned to appreciate it more now. My two Thanksgivings were incredibly different, unique in their own special ways. And I love them both!

Clockwise L-R: one of our table decorations; "Thanksgiving"-colored citronella candles to ward off mosquitoes (very important); mini pumpkins in a glass vase; and my dad putting up lights.

Can you believe this is our driveway?

Clockwise L-R: potluck food; meatballs and lingonberry jam; Pinakbet (a dish made with mainly ampalaya or bitter gourd, green beans, okra, squash, and some type of meat); and Lumpia (Filipino spring rolls).

Clockwise L-R: Pancit (a Filipino noodle dish); Lumpia; ShuMai (dumplings, not really Filipino); and of course, lasagna.

L-R: a random shot of my sister grilling; desserts including a pecan pie.

There was also Dinuguan (I suggest you just try this and not know about the ingredients; it's good, trust me), Biryani (a Middle Eastern rice dish) and Caldereta (a Filipino stew dish); and poor pumpkin pie.

Some (well, maybe a lot) of dancing before the night ended.


And then for breakfast, my dad cooked fried rice, eggs over-easy, and ham patties.


HOPE EVERYONE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that I missed out on this feast!! You really put on a spectacular celebration!!! Kudos to all!!! Mrs. O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Another gathering coming up probably 24th Dec. 2010 as M is closed on 25th December. See ya soon. mamu

    ReplyDelete