Adventures of a Graduate Student Juggling School, a Part-Time Job and a Full-Time Love for Food.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

MexItalian.

This weekend, I made chicken breasts stuffed with prosciutto and cheese. Really simple. Really yummy. It's MexItalian because the chicken is Italian, but the sides are Mexican: rice and beans.

I took four lovely chicken breasts (rinsed and dried) and cut a pocket on the thicker side. Then I laid some thin slices of prosciutto on each chicken (I think I used about 4 slices of prosciutto), and stuffed 'em with cheese. I think the grated six Italian cheeses really go well with this, and so that's what I used.

 

Next, I took about 3/4 of a cup of all-purpose flour, an egg (or two, depending on how big the chicken breasts are), and about a cup of plain breadcrumbs, and put them in individual bowls. Season the breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. And for more flavor, you can add a tablespoon or two of Dijon mustard to the beaten egg.


After stuffing the breasts, season them with salt and pepper and dredge each one in the flour first, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Repeat for all chicken breasts and they should look something like this.


Now, heat up some olive oil in a nonstick skillet. I used an electric skillet (ES) because it's the only "nonstick" skillet I have. So I cooked the breasts at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes and then at 250 for about 5 minutes. I was playing it by ear with the ES because I don't normally cook with it. And if you don't have an ES, first turn the oven on 350 degrees. Heat the oil on the stove until it's very hot and cook each breast about 3 minutes on each side. Then transfer them to a baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes or until the filling reaches about 165 degrees. 


I randomly selected rice and beans for the side because I was feeling spontaneous (or because I really wanted some rice and beans). So I got some yellow rice and regular ol' black beans. I cooked each according to the directions on the package or can, and then voila!


I obviously don't have a good camera, or camera skills, or plating skills; I am, after all, a speech pathology student. But I sure enjoyed cooking... especially cooking for B, with whom I ate this lunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment