Adventures of a Graduate Student Juggling School, a Part-Time Job and a Full-Time Love for Food.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dinner At Our House.

I stumbled upon these pictures when I was going through some old albums. These were taken about a year and a half ago when I visited home from school. I love going home. My mom will usually cook anything I want; I'm always homesick for her cooking. And my dad is always up for a special dinner from the grill. So my mom and I bought some vegetables, meat, and corn to grill. My dad fired up the grill, and my sister got to grillin' (she does most of the grilling in the family). :)


My mom and dad make the best marinade for meats, whether for pork, chicken, or steak. The meat usually marinates overnight, especially the steak, so it is super tender and flavorful the next day.



My mom and I made vegetable skewers with mushrooms, onions, and green peppers. Then we drizzled a little bit of olive oil and sprinkled a bit of salt and pepper on each skewer. Oh, and we had three lonesome tomatoes, so we thought they could join the party too.



We obviously had too much food, so we had people over to share the bounty.


This is my dad washing some banana leaves from our banana trees. This is traditional Filipino, using banana leaves for grilling. 


The banana leaves in action.


My sister grilling.


I think the banana leaves give the whole thing a nice island-y touch.


The house smelled so good. I love the smell of smoke from the grill. 


And of course, rice. :)


The end. 

2 comments:

  1. "I love the smell of smoke from the grill."

    You should let me cook more often then...I tend to burn stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading your blog. I tried to post a comment yesterday but alas I had no luck. Keep writing and I'll keep reading. Maureen

    ReplyDelete